Diversifying the Educator Workforce: A Guide for Minnesota Districts and Schools
Given the concerning lack of teachers of color in Minnesota, the positive outcomes of having a diverse educator workforce, and growing legislative action in this area with the Increase Teachers of Color Act, R10CC researchers sought to better understand the strategies Minnesota public school districts and charter schools were using to recruit and retain teachers of color.
To do so, the R10CC analyzed data from three sources:
- Applications for the Minnesota PELSB Teacher Mentorship and Retention Grant funding program;
- Responses to a statewide survey of Minnesota school leaders (i.e., superintendents or charter school leaders); and
- Interviews of education organization leaders, superintendents, human resource personnel, and teachers identified as engaging in this work.
In this guide, we present the findings from these three analyses to share what strategies are currently being used for the recruitment and retention of teachers of color. When reviewing these strategies, we urge readers to keep in mind that while this report may suggest strategies that are most commonly used, we lack the appropriate data to suggest if, when, and where these strategies are ultimately effective in recruiting and retaining teachers of color given this early stage analysis.
More detail on the effectiveness of these strategies will come in future briefs as the appropriate data is collected.
Table of Contents
- Background on this Guide
- Racial/Ethnic Diversification of the Educator Workforce Nationally and Locally
- Why diversify the educator workforce?
- Brief Historical Context
- Recent Legislative Action to Diversify the Educator Workforce
- Scope of this Guide
- Theory of Action
- Culturally Responsive School Leadership
- Culturally Responsive Work Environment
- Recruitment & Retention Strategies
- Strategies Towards Success
- Explore & Become
- Grow Your Own
- Multiple Pathways to Licensure
- Grow & Thrive
- Affinity Groups & Mentoring
- Financial Incentives
- Contract Changes
Educational Equity Educator Workforce Grow Your Own (GYO)